1 TIMOTHY 3:16-17

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us...God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work."

Sunday, March 4, 2012

MICAH - Light at the End of the Tunnel

Ever feel just OVERWHELMED?

Like you're in a dark valley, unable to crawl out, surrounded by troubles?

(Please tell me I'm not alone down here - dark valleys love company...)

I feel like that sometimes - I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those "glass half-empty" kind of people! And, to tell you the truth, sometimes I don't even see ANY water in the glass at all!!

Today's "Bible Pick 'Ems" comes from the book of Micah in the Old Testament. Micah was a prophet, a contemporary of Isaiah and Hosea. Amidst his prophecies of doom and gloom, Micah presents a true picture of God - the Almighty Lord who hates sin and loves the sinner.

Micah offers hope to those who turn toward a gracious God.

"As for me, I look to the LORD for help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me. Do not gloat over me, my enemies! For though I fall, I will rise again. Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light...The LORD will bring me into the light, and I will see his righteousness. Then my enemies will see that the LORD is on my side...with my own eyes I will see their downfall." (Micah 7:7-8, 9, 10)

All too often, circumstances and struggles really get me defeated.

I cave in, I fall down, and sometimes I give up. Darkness overcomes my spirit like a shadow. Satan finds a way to gloat over me, accusing me in my weakness, and never letting me forget that I am small. He shouts me down, and I collapse.

(I would NOT make a good contestant on "Survivor" - just sayin')

But...ALL IS NOT LOST!

Micah showed great faith in God. He proclaimed that he would wait on God because He hears and saves us when help is needed. God would bring His people through the worst circumstances, upholding them when times were tough.

We, too, can have a relationship with God that will allow us to have confidence like Micah's.

On Friday, my "Fan the Flame" word was confident.

(You can find the post on my other blog, Sharon Sharing God)

And a dear bloggy buddy left such a wonderful comment, that I'd like to reprint that here:

"I discovered that I had missed the whole point of confidence by neglecting the heart of the word: confide. We have confidence in God because we confide in him. It's really impossible to have "haughty confidence" in the truest form of the word(s) because the words are scriptural opposites. Both Hebrew and Greek words for confide are all wrapped up in trust. We would never confide in One we didn't trust completely. We tell God the deepest secret places of the heart, because He knows it anyway, and we know that not only will He cover them in silence, but that He is capable to do more than we can even think or imagine with our confidence. With God as my shield, I can fight like a warrior!!"


Oh, AMEN to that!

Yes, Micah, the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT a train!

The Light is the Glorious LORD, who is on my side.

I will not be defeated...

"For though I fall, I WILL RISE AGAIN!"


"When in doubt, search God out!"

4 comments:

  1. Sharon......wonderful post! I really need this today!!!!

    HE IS FAITHFUL!!!

    Sweet Blessings!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is my confidence. I love the concept of confiding my heart in him. As I do so, I become less burdened.

    A great encouragement, Sharon, as I've been battling some dark days. I appreciate your teaching.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you Sharon... Most definitely!!!

    I have definitely felt overwhelmed!

    So thankful that God hates the sin but still loves me.

    Today, I'm searching for "the light at the end of my tunnel". Thankful to have the chance to reread these words from MICAH and you! A real encouragement (I think).

    I can so relate to this post (your description of defeat after you share the Bible Pick'em's verses)!

    Normally, I would say "my confidence is in the Lord"... but far too frequently my confidence was in me, my own works or lack.
    To confide in the Lord, to trust in Him.
    "a feeling or consciousness of one's powers or of reliance on one's circumstances
    b : faith or belief that one will act in a right, proper, or effective way"

    It is CONFIDE that comes from having confidence; of being certain.

    May our burdens be lifted by Our Burden Bearer and Our Precious Lord fill us with complete confidence in Him and what He allows or is doing in our midst and with us.

    Love and hugs, peace and many blessings,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete

"So I have been greatly encouraged in the midst of my troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives me new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How I thank God for you!"
(1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!