1 TIMOTHY 3:16-17

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us...God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work."

Sunday, December 26, 2010

PSALMS - Victory in a Manger!

You know, I’m never quite sure where God’s going to lead me when I do a “Bible Pick ‘Ems!”

Today was no exception.

And God consistently shows me something from His Word.

Today was no exception!!

I found myself in Psalm 118.

Most of the Psalms were written by David, God’s chosen king, His mighty warrior. However, the author of Psalm 118 is listed as anonymous. And yet, this nameless author affirmed the confidence we can have in God’s eternal purposes.

“Though hostile nations surrounded me, I destroyed them all with the authority of the LORD. Yes, they surrounded me and attacked me…They swarmed around me like bees; they blazed against me like a crackling fire. But I destroyed them all with the authority of the LORD. My enemies did their best to kill me, but the LORD rescued me. The LORD is my strength and my song; he has given me victory…The arm of the LORD has done glorious things! The strong right arm of the LORD is raised in triumph…I will not die; instead, I will live…”
(Psalm 118:10-17)

Tremendously inspiring, encouraging, comforting words, indeed.

But, I thought to myself, it’s the day after Christmas. Couldn’t the verses have had something to do with Jesus?

Then God said to me, “Read them with Jesus in mind.”

And oh, how another story unfolded!

Picture Mary and Joseph, with their brand-new baby son, Jesus. Shepherds had come to adore Him. And exotic wise men, too. It was a glorious moment…

Except, lurking in the background was King Herod.

Evil King Herod.

King Herod – who felt threatened by the thought of a newborn “King of the Jews.” Unbeknownst to Mary and Joseph, he had instructed the wise men to tell him, as soon as possible, where the new baby was located – because he wanted to “worship” Him.

My friends, Satan was behind this plot.

And Herod was a willing accomplice. He was ruthless.

And he wasn’t alone.

The Scriptures tell us that everyone in Jerusalem was disturbed. When Jesus was born into the world, people began to react immediately. There was a disturbance in the status quo. Emotions were all over the map – excitement, fear, comfort, insecurity, angerJesus, a mere baby, had begun His revolution…

Herod planned to kill Him.

We are told that God appeared to the wise men in a dream, and told them to avoid Herod at all costs - to go home by another route. An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, and warned him to flee to Egypt, and stay there until it was safe to return.

I’ve got to hand it to Joseph – he was a very good husband, a very good father. He listened to the Voice of God, and he immediately obeyed. He took his very young family and fled.

Thereby saving the Savior of the world.

It wasn’t the last time that Satan and his cohort of angry little demons tried to kill the Son of God. His mission? To thwart the mission of Jesus – to sabotage the purpose of God. He tried everything, I’m sure.

But God protected His Son – and He protected Him until the day arrived to complete that awful, wonderful mission – to die on the cross in our place.

I’ll bet Satan thought he’d won. Killing God – what a coup!

Not so fast…

There’s an empty tomb coming!

Read today’s “Bible Pick ‘Ems” again – read the words as if JESUS is saying them. Hear His ringing Voice of authority. Hear His trumpet call of Victory. Glory in the wonder of God’ protection and providence.

And then, read the words again…

This time, YOU say them. They are your words, too.

Claim YOUR victory through them today!

Though surrounded by hostile forces – through Jesus, you will destroy them all.
Though they attack you, swarm like bees and blaze like fire – through Jesus, you have been given authority against them.
Though they try to kill you – through Jesus, you have been rescued.

Jesus is your strength and song.
Jesus is your victory.

Raise your arm in TRIUMPH!

Because of a baby, because of a life, because of a death, because of a resurrectionwe can stand with all the authority of Jesus and say…

“I WILL NOT DIE – INSTEAD, I WILL LIVE!”


Praise God Almighty…AMEN!


“When in doubt, search God out!”

11 comments:

  1. Dear Sharon,

    Thank you for sharing your writing talent with the world. Your words - through Jesus - had me sitting on the very edge of my seat, by the time I got to the very last word I was filled with overwhelming joy, causing me to shout... because of Jesus "I will not die - Instead, I will live!

    The LORD bless you. With love and care from Kerrie. xOx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerrie - Thank you for your kind comments. I just love doing these Bible Pick 'Ems. Sometimes I'm not sure what to say, but then God just SHOWS UP!! And I especially love when He gives me something new to think about. This was one of those passages. I'm a big fan of what I like to call "Warrior Language" - and I agree with you, I shouted out that last sentiment, too!! Armed for battle, I WILL LIVE!

    Hope you had a very nice Christmas - and I look forward to getting to know you better in 2011!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this inspiring post, Sharon. It is so relevant to me, especially as the year ends, and I want a clear word of victory for me. Psalm 118 has spoken directly to my need. Your words are always right on target for me - because I know you listen carefully to what God is saying, and you deliver His message with courage and confidence.

    You are God's mouthpiece, messenger of peace and hope.

    Blessings be yours as the year ends!

    Love
    Lidj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lidj - Thank you for your kind comments. I was stirred by this passage of Scripture, too. I love words that inspire courage and resolve. I want this new year to be one in which I grab on to opportunities, and yield my ways to God's guidance, and claim His victories. Sounds like you're thinking the same way. May He continue to speak to us - and may we listen to Him, and DO what He's calling us to do!

    He is going to MOVE in our lives this year. I'm excited to share our journeys!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful to celebrate the continuing story of Christmas with the triumph of the cross and resurrection of our Lord Jesus. Bless you Sharon for your insight and gift, in sharing such deep truths with us!
    Dorothy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dorothy - It's hard to think about Jesus' birth without thinking about why He was born. God in the flesh - the first miracle. Jesus dying and being raised from the dead - the second miracle!! Praise the Lord for making eternal life possible! Thank you for stopping by, and for your kind comments.

    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas - looking forward to 2011!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen Sharon, praise God for the victory won when he sent his son. He spoiled principalities and power; made a show of them openly, truimphing over them. We are on the victory side and our testimony in the new year will be; we will not die, but live in the power of our God! Thanks for your faithful visit and gracious comment. Have a blessed New Year! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Toyin - Thank you for continuing my heartfelt praise with your words. I LOVED this - "He spoiled principalities and power; made a show of them openly, truimphing over them." OH AMEN!! I just love being on the winning side! Hope you have a wonderfully Happy New Year, as we eagerly look forward to what God has in store for 2011!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank God for the empty tomb...praise His holy name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve - Thank you for the invitation.

    Stan - The resounding "IT IS FINISHED" - an empty tomb that opened the way to eternal life. I agree - PRAISE His holy name!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So I have been greatly encouraged in the midst of my troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives me new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How I thank God for you!"
(1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!