1 TIMOTHY 3:16-17

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us...God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work."

Sunday, July 4, 2010

BIBLE "PICK 'EMS"

Back when my sons lived at home, we had this “tradition” when we went out to eat. Everyone usually ordered something different, so we would kinda “share” our meals. Or if you were done eating, someone might reach over and “finish” your food. (Incidentally, I didn’t really understand the whole “doggie bag” concept until those boys got past puberty. For several years there, EVERYONE was a member of the “Clean Plate Club!”) Anyway, we called our little practice – “pick ‘ems.”

For a couple of months now, I’ve been doing a version of that – I call it, “Bible Pick ‘Ems.” I know it probably isn’t spiritually “PC” to randomly open the Bible and expect to find a meaningful verse – it opens the door to the whole “out of context” dilemma. And...you might just find yourself in Leviticus!! But, I decided that I wanted to do this, along with my regular reading through the Bible. The way I figured it, I wasn’t “testing” God – in other words, “prove something to me, Lord” – but I was “trusting” God – “show something to me, Lord.” After all, don’t we know that His Word is living, breathing, and powerful?!

So, from time to time, I will be sharing my “Bible Pick ‘Ems” with you.

Today’s verse is 1 Samuel 30:6b:
“But David found strength in the LORD his God.”


David was literally running for his life at this point. He was surrounded by enemies, afraid, doubtful, overwhelmed – certainly not feeling like that boy who killed Goliath. BUT…he found strength in God – HIS God. God wasn’t just a name to David, or an abstract concept – No, the Lord was his PERSONAL God, his friend, his ally, his EVERYTHING.

Can’t you identify with David? How often do we feel surrounded by our enemies – our personal struggles and trials? How often do we feel afraid, doubtful, overwhelmed – are you like me…MOST DAYS?! But…where is our REAL source of strength, our ONLY source of strength? Isn’t it truly in the Lord – the Lord who is our PERSONAL God, our friend, our ally, our EVERYTHING?

So, I read this verse like this: “But (in spite of all the surrounding circumstances, the struggles and trials, the feelings) Sharon found strength in the Lord HER GOD!”

Do you?

"When in doubt, search God out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So I have been greatly encouraged in the midst of my troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives me new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How I thank God for you!"
(1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!