1 TIMOTHY 3:16-17

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us...God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work."

Sunday, August 8, 2010

JOHN - Light of the World!

Have any of you ever been afraid of the dark?

When I was a little girl, I was terrified of the dark.

I was sure that there was someone, or worse yet, something under my bed. I remember jumping into bed, launching myself from about two feet out, just so whatever was under there couldn't grab my legs!!

In thinking about darkness, I started wondering WHY it's so scary to so many people...

I think a lot of people have overactive imaginations (that would be me!) Our minds get filled up with stories and images, and we convince ourselves that we see and hear and fear "things that go bump in the night."

But I also think there's something inside us that has an innate fear of the dark...

I think there's a spiritual fear, something that we feel in our souls.

Darkness somehow represents everything that is not of God. And Satan, our enemy, the great accuser, is prince of the "kingdom of darkness." However, all hope is NOT LOST!!

The cross of Jesus, His crucifixion and His resurrection, were His way of saying a resounding "NO!" to the darkness.

He is the source of light!

Today's "Bible Pick 'Ems" comes from the book of John:

"[Jesus] said, 'I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in the darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.' " (John 8:12)

Jesus is the source of light.

And if you believe in Jesus - that He died on the cross for your sins - and if you confess your sins, and ask Him to come into your heart as Lord of your life...then you no longer have to be afraid of this other darkness - the spiritual darkness of the soul.

You have been set free!

And as a child of God, you never need to fear darkness again, even the darkness of death, for there will be NO ETERNAL DARKNESS for the believer!!

PRAISE GOD! We will live in His light FOREVER!

Check out these wonderful passages - all about light:
  • Genesis 1:3-4
  • Psalm 18:28
  • Psalm 27:12
  • Psalm 119:105
  • John 1:4-5
  • John 12:46
  • 2 Corinthians 4:6-7
  • 1 Thessalonians 5:5
  • Ephesians 5:8-9
  • 1 Peter 2:9
  • 1 John 1:5, 7

BLESSED SUNDAY!


"When in doubt, search God out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So I have been greatly encouraged in the midst of my troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives me new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How I thank God for you!"
(1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!